Reading Time: 4 minutes read
Blackjack is a casino game also called Twenty One, as the goal of this game is to make a 21-point play or not to exceed this figure, but always exceeding the value that the croupier has to win the bet. In this article, you will discover everything about how to play Blackjack.
The game is played with a 52-card international deck with no jokers. Casinos usually use several decks mixed together in order to speed up the game and to make card counting more difficult. The players can be up to 7 and they will be facing the bank. The rules are simple and if you are a good strategist, you can make a lot of money playing Blackjack.
The term Blackjack, the name, is used in the case when the player has 21 points with his first two cards. In this case, the player automatically wins immediately. The same applies to the dealer if he has blackjack (21 points) with his first two cards.
Cards from 2 to 10 are worth their natural value, cards J, Q and K are also worth 10 and the ace is worth 1 or 11, at the player’s convenience.
WANT TO TEST YOUR BLACKJACK SKILLS?
- At the beginning of each game, the players must bet.
- The dealer gives one card face up to each player, and then one card face up to himself. Another round of cards is then dealt face up to each player, but the dealer takes the second card face down.
- Each player will decide whether to ask for more cards or stand with the two cards already dealt with.
- Then the dealer will play his hand.
- If the dealer’s uncovered card is an ace, and only in this case, he will offer to the players the option of insuring, immediately after they have finished dealing.
- Players who stand further than 21 than the dealer, or who have exceeded this value, lose.
- Those with the same value as the dealer get their bet back but do not lose or win.
- Players who draw BlackJack (ace plus 10 or figure) are paid 3×2 and those who beat the dealer are paid 1×1 depending on the bet they made.
Each player can do the following actions during the game:
- Hit: Each player can ask for the cards they want if their game does not exceed 21 points. If the player goes over the 21 points mentioned, the dealer will remove the cards and take the bet.
- Stand: A player may stand at any time he chooses to do so.
- Doubling down: A player may double his bet. This can be done at the beginning of his turn, after receiving the initial cards. Note that the bet must be of the same value as the initial one and the player, in this case, will receive one more card.
- Splitting pairs: If you receive two initial cards of the same value (10, J, Q or K) from the dealer, you may split the cards into separate hands. In doing so the second hand must have the same wager as the first. Please note that each hand is played independently.
- Insurance: This option allows players to bet that the croupier will have Blackjack, so that they could recover a part of the investment as it will payout at 2-1. The maximum allowed to secure is half of the bet that each player initially made.
Below you can see the basic Blackjack strategy:
Following this strategy could help you win more money in the long run.
But this is only the theory of the game.